But in fact, kayaking doesn't hurt your back definitely. If you learn the right way to paddle the kayak, you can actually improve the strength and flexibility of your back.
Why does kayaking cause back injuries?The back consists of a complex system of vertebrae, ligaments, and muscles that all respond to each motion that you make while kayaking.
1. Wrong paddling positionIf you are a beginner, your paddling position may not be correct and it may cause an injury to the back. Because the wrong posture will cause your power point is not right, thus it is easy to strain the back.
2. Without stretchIf you don't stretch well before rowing, you may also hurt your back. Without warming up the muscles will stiffen up. It’s bad for your back.
3. Paddle and train too hardKayakers need intense training daily. The body may be overloaded. Even if you are an experienced kayaker, you can still be injured in an accident in rough waters or while you paddle too hard.
4. Unsuitable kayak
The backrest of the kayak seat plays an important role in supporting your back.
Is kayaking well for your back?Kayaking is the most effective back-toning exercise. This can make the back look better. Kayaking can build up the muscles in the back and can improve chronic back pain.
Can I go kayaking if I have a bad back?If your bad back is from general soreness caused by exercise, you can still go kayaking as long as you take the proper precautions to protect yourself from injury.
If you have severe back injuries, such as a herniated disc. We advise you don't go kayaking, because it may cause irreversible damage. And you must follow your doctor's advice. Besides, users with back injuries are advised to go kayaking on good weather days and in a calm water place.
How can I prevent back pain while kayaking?
1. Get the comfort kayak
There are different types of kayaks, sit-in-kayak and sit-on-top-kayak. You should first start trying different types of kayaks and find the one that suits you best.
You should choose a padded seat with an adjustable backrest, which can provide greater support for your back. We have padded seats and kayaks with adjustable backrests for sale in our store. Before paddling, you should adjust the position that suits you.
2. Proper PostureWhen you sit in the kayak, please put your feet straight out and sit up, then you should relax your body. When kayaking you also need to maintain a good posture. If you are a beginner, you can practice more on the calm lake, you will find it easier to naturally fall into the proper posture.
3. Right paddling techniqueImproper technique can lead to injuries to your lower back. Please use your core muscles to power the stroke.
4. Carrying the kayak correctlyThe kayaks are heavy, usually weighing 50 pounds or more. One of ways to carry a kayak is with two people. But if you lift the kayak incorrectly, you may also get injured in your back. The best way is to use kayak transport trolley cart. You also can find it in our store.
5. Do a good stretch before and after kayakingIt’s very important to do a good stretch before and after kayaking. Because warm-up can help get the blood flowing and loosen your muscles up. Bending over to touch your toes is a simple but useful move to loosen up the muscles.
6. Heat, ice, or massageMuscle soreness is normal after a long paddle. You can relieve muscle soreness at home by applying heat, ice, or massage.
Back hurt can be prevented. And occasional back pain is normal after kayaking. You should pay attention to the posture and method. We hope the above suggestions will be helpful to you and get fun.